Yes, you can use Deco with your existing router. Deco is a brand of mesh Wi-Fi systems developed by TP-Link. These systems are designed to enhance Wi-Fi coverage and eliminate dead spots in your home by creating a seamless network using multiple devices called nodes. You can connect Deco nodes to your existing router to improve Wi-Fi coverage throughout your space. Keep in mind that the setup process might vary depending on the specific Deco model you have, so it’s a good idea to follow the instructions provided with your Deco system or consult TP-Link’s support resources for detailed guidance.
There are two ways to do this:
- Use Deco in Access Point mode. In this mode, Deco will act as a wireless extender to your existing router. To do this, connect the main Deco unit to your router using an Ethernet cable. Then, connect the other Deco units to the main Deco unit wirelessly.
- Use Deco in Router mode. In this mode, Deco will replace your existing router. To do this, connect the main Deco unit to your modem using an Ethernet cable. Then, connect all of your devices to the Deco network.
It is recommended to configure your existing router in bridge mode when using Deco in Router mode. This will avoid any technical problems such as double NAT.
Here are the steps on how to add a Deco to your router:
- Download the TP-Link Deco app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Open the app and create an account.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your Deco.
- When prompted, select the option to use your existing router.
- Enter the Wi-Fi network name and password of your existing router.
- The Deco will connect to your existing router and create a mesh network.
Once the Deco is connected to your router, you can start using it to extend your Wi-Fi coverage. You can also use the Deco app to manage your network settings, such as the Wi-Fi name and password, parental controls, and guest access.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.